In Angra you can discover,
the architecture of big houses of the century XVII and XVIII, dozens of
churches, the oldest church was built in 1593, the Convent of São
Bernadino de Sena, the Museum
of Sacred Arts among others.
Main Historical Points
Convent São Bernardino de
Inaugurated in 1763 it substituted the old Franciscan convent of
current Moacir de Paula Lobo Street. It worked regularly until
1859. In 1931, the convent was requested by the government, to work as
orphans' house and Primary Liceu for nine years, when it was a convent
again. The existent clock in the steeple is still original of the old
convent. Tumbled by Sphan in 1947.
Convent Nossa Senhora do
Carmo - The Carmelite monks settled down in
this local even before the primitive population. Founded in 1593, its
current aspect is from 1623. There’s, in the cemetery, the mummified
body of Maria Isabel da Visitação Corrêa, died in 1822. Tumbled by
Sphan in 1954.
Cruzeiro – made of lioz
marble, it was donated in 1758 by D. José I from Portugal.
Matriz (Church Matriz) - Located in Praça Silvestre Travassos. The building begun in 1623. This construction extendend
until 1750 when it was inaugurated. There you can see the legendary image
of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, that, when it was on the way to Vila de
Intanhaém, stayed at this Vila dos Reis Magos forever to be par
excellence the patron saint of Angra dos Reis. It is the richest Church of
the town, with altar-pieces, images and precious dresses. Tumbled by Sphan
Mercado do Peixe (Market
of the Fish) -
Built by the municipality in 1914, it is local where you can find fresh
fish of the city at about 07:00 a.m.
Chafariz da Saudade (Fountain
of the Longing) -
Placed in the square of the Market of Fish, this fountain was good to take
the waters from the Fonte da Saudade (Fountain of the Longing) and it
marked the first visit of the emperor D. Pedro II to the city in 1863.
Chafariz da Chácara da Carioca (Fountain of Carioca Smallholding) - Placed at the end of Professor Lima Street, it was built in 1842, being the only one in operation. There’s a popular belief that says that the person who drinks the water of the middle of the waterspout will never stand far from the city.
Ladeira de Santa Luzia (Slope of Santa Luzia)
- This is the oldest house existent, built in 1793. The writer's and
historian Alípio Mendes’s library is in the house.
Vila de Mambucaba
- It is at BR-101, by the ocean. Its apogee was in the century XIX due to
the slaves' market, the export of coffee and the production of cachaça
(sugar cane liquor). Today in the place remain some constructions and
Igreja do Rosário (The Church of Rosário) built in 1834.
Monumento do Naufrágio do
Aquidabã (Monument of the
Shipwreck of the Ship Aquidabã)
- Granite Shaft in memory of the warship Aquidabã, that shipwrecked in
the Bay of Jacuacanga in 1906. The access is through BR-101 highway, with
the entrence in the way of
Petrobrás, km 470 - Monsuaba - Ponta Leste.
Ruínas do Engenho Central
do Bracuhy (Ruins of the Central Mill of Bracuhy) -
Located on BR-101 highway, km 504 and close to the access of the
condominium of the same name. Construction of the century XIX, that
reminds the typical architecture of the industrial revolution. In spite of
being in ruins, it can still be seen the underground ditches and the thick
walls of stones.